Sunday, January 29, 2006


So, one of my goals for 2006 is to de-clutter my house. On January 14th, I had a professional organizer come into my house and help Chris and I do just that in our basement. We have been wanting to setup a home gym for over a year down there and have just not done it because of the overwhelming task of junking shit out of it. So, 6 hours and $500 later, we were finished and SO HAPPY! My front porch wasn't happy and I'm sure the neighbors were not thrilled to be looking at all the trash for a week, but I.....don't.....care! I have a use-able basement! Oh, and just so we are clear, the trash bag in the "before" photos above is not really trash - it is filled with old throw pillows for the sofa. I'm not that trashy! Also, if you look really, really hard, you can see the elliptical machine poking out from behind the boxes in the top bottom photo.

The almost-final result -- (drum roll please!)






Ooooo, pretty, huh? Here's another picture of the home gym equipment from a different angle:
Ok, so it is not state-of-the-art, but it works for us. Click here to get a better idea of what the weight bench looks like.

I say almost-finished because there are still a few boxes of books that I need to go through and Chris has tons of sports cards, record albums and other assorted collectibles that he wants to sort and put up on eBay (chris405 is his eBay name if your interested in that sort of thing).

It is so cool for Chris and I to have a place right down a flight of stairs to go and exercise. I have been SO MUCH MORE consistent with my exercise since the 14th. I even called my old personal trainer and setup an appointment for her to come over and set me up with a program. She's coming tomorrow night.

I am moving forward.

It feels good. Smile

Thanks, Claire!
 
posted by Sue at 5:07 AM |


6 Comments:


At 7:17 PM, Blogger Emily

That's great Sue! How much easier will it be with a gym right downstairs. It looks like it was a lot of hard work setting it up! Good luck with the trainer.

 

At 3:45 AM, Blogger Sue

You know what, Emily, the hardest part of the whole deal was getting the weight bench and weights into the house! We had to bring it in piece-by-piece, weight plate-by-weight plate. That's alot of in and out of the front door with 3 cats waiting for a chance to run out into the night and alot of up and down the basement stairs.

I got a workout just trying to setup for a workout!

 

At 3:01 AM, Blogger AsharEdith

Way to go Sue!!!
Now you will statrt melting your extra bagage a lot faster. Good for you!

 

At 11:30 AM, Blogger heavenlydm

Kudos on setting goals and actually carrying them out. It so neat to see what other people can do in confined spaces we've not been able to manage. A friend of mine charges $25 an hour to do the same thing (and I thought to myself - jeesh, I could pay pay myself $25 an hour to organize my own life :).

Your basement looks great and highly functional.

 

At 9:39 AM, Blogger Bear

This is motivating me to do the same. You did a great job and I understand how much easier it is having the gear right at home! I have been crowding a guest bedroom with my equipment and keep moving things around just to use it. Guess I need to get busy!

 

At 1:12 PM, Blogger Scarlett O'Hara

Hey sue! way to go!! so what happened with the trainer??? what program did she put you on?? :-)

im a pack rat too! LOL...you should see my house! oh wait...maybe not!! its embarrassing! LOL