Sunday, October 02, 2005
Well, things went as expected. Not well.

When I arrived at the restaurant (Chili's), Kris was already there as well as Lisa. They were waiting in the foyer. We all greeted warmly and then Kris went back to her "tale" of weight loss to Lisa. (See, while Barb and I knew about Kris' weight loss, Lisa did not). As I stood there like an idiot waiting for Barb to arrive, I noticed that Kris already had a menu in her hands and a print-out from a website -- Dottie's Weight Loss Zone -- where a woman on Weight Watchers apparently has called or otherwise contacted just about every restaurant in the country to get nutritional information, broke down each food item into WW "points" and then posted the results on a webpage for fellow WW's to use as a "guide" for dining out on the plan. (Wish I had that kind of time!) Finally, Barb arrived and our table was ready.

We sit down and the first thing I say to everyone is "I'm sorry, but I would really like to get a beer. Does anyone mind?" Everyone says "no, go ahead". And I did. Sam Adams Light if you please. I already knew what I was going to get before I got there since I didn't want to make a big production out of reading the menu and trying to figure out what would be most sensible choice for me. Unfortunately, Kris did not have the same forsight. We all had to sit there for 15 minutes while she flipped through the menu, then looked at her print-out, then flipped again through the menu, then looked again at her print-out. Then she asks everyone what they are getting. I'm getting Monterey Chicken with double veggies, Barb is getting a bacon cheeseburger w/fries and a beer, Lisa is getting Chicken Tacos (3 to a plate) with beans & rice. Oh, she says quietly. She orders the Chicken Caesar Salad and diet Coke.

After we placed our order, she continued to look at her print-out and recited to all of us how many points there are in various items on the menu - specifically items that we did not order. She ended her presentation by saying "I won't even tell you how many points there are in what you all ordered!!" Bitch. Barb says "good - I don't want to know." Yay - one for the team!

The rest of the meal was pretty tense and quiet. Kris obviously wanted to continue talking about her weight loss and no one else really wanted to. So she got sullen and non-conversational. During our pre-diet get-togethers, we would talk about family, tv shows, travel, etc. This time she had nothing to say. I asked her how her husband and kids were doing. She said fine. (Note: I think she was a bit peeved because I didn't gush over her about her weight loss. I probably should have, but I just did not have it in me. I think it's great -- but I just did not want to give her reason to monopolize the conversation about it.)

Finally the meal was over. Kris mentioned that we probably won't meet again until January. We try to meet every 3 months. We did not set a date. We usually do. Interesting. Hopefully this ship has finally sunk to the bottom of the ocean.

We parted ways in the parking lot among a bunch of well wishes for a happy holiday and glad to see you again. Kris and Lisa went to one end of the lot-- Barb and I went to the other. I ask Barb if she wanted to stop over my house for a little while to hang out and see my new kitten. (Barb and I have been friends for 17 years; we were roommates for 9 years.) She says "well, the Phillies are on and it's a really important game". I say, "Ok, bye." Whatever. I rarely see her, I invite her over since she's already 1/2 way to my house as it is and she picks fucking baseball over a short visit with an old friend. Um, I have tv's. She can watch the game at my house. Whatever.

So, I stopped at the local Target to pick up the new Sheryl Crow CD (only $10) and cat litter and headed home. (I wanted to get cookies too, but I didn't - small NSV for me!) I told Chris when I got home that I am done. I am not going out to dinner with these girls anymore. It's not worth the time or effort. On the drive home, I was thinking back to past dinners and the conversations. 99% of the time, the conversation was all about Kris. Not once could I recall her asking me how my husband was doing or what I have been doing. She never asked Barb or Lisa if they were dating anyone or travelling anywhere fun. The only thing she ever asked me was "Did you bring the new quarters?" (I can get uncirculated State Quarters as each one is released. She is collecting them for her 4 kids.) That's it - that is all she asks.

Whatever. I'm done.

Perhaps I am too harsh. But I need to move forward in my life and these dinners are pulling me backwards. They are not fun and I really do not have anything in common with them anymore. Not even Barb. It is sad. But it is life.

We'll see what happens in January.
 
posted by Sue at 12:51 PM |


4 Comments:


At 10:43 PM, Blogger Tina

Oh, Sue...you crack me up. This sounds like a post I could've written. Dinner sounds like it was a nightmare. Gawd...who wants to hear about the calories and the points and the bullshit? Just eat, dammit. Go out and have fun. I bet you just wanted to strangle her, huh?

I have a philosophy: after the age of 30 (in which we both are), don't do anything you don't want to do. These girls don't sound like a whole lotta fun anymore. If you don't want to continue the relationships - dont. Period. End of story.

~ Tina

 

At 1:08 PM, Blogger Scarlett O'Hara

awww....sue!!! this dinner sounds awful!! i dont blame you one bit for not wanting to do it ever again! it also reminds me of my friend here who gets together with 3 other friends and they go out whenever its one of their bdays. and shes getting tired of it too cause she feels she has nothing in common with them anymore since she stopped drinking and eating whatever she wanted. they now get annoyed with her cause she wont drink. sad....she saw herself becoming an acoholic and desided she best stop all together. if they were her true friends and cared...they would understand.

i agree with Tina...don't go anymore!

hugs!

 

At 10:44 AM, Blogger Hey Lady

Sue~ Sounds like the dinner from Hell. There used to be a group of 7 of us...every other Friday we would get our nails done and then go out for dinner and drinks...someone was always arguing with someone...except for me, I was always the peace maker... Lisa didn't like Anita, Anita didn't like Brenda, Brenda didn't like...blah blah blah and they would all come to me to bitch about each other...and I really liked everyone in the group...I finally got sick of it and quit going.
i say 'dump 'em' It sounds like you have grown and they haven't or maybe you all have just grown apart. It happens with friendship. I can think of 3 friends that I KNOW I can rely on for life... the rest are just friends for the season.
Kris sounds like a sad miserable selfish person.
People say life is too short...I say life is too long to go through a bunch of un-necessary bullshit...yep, I'd dump 'em.
The 'other' Sue

 

At 3:47 AM, Blogger Sue

Thank you all for your comments -- I agree, it is time to let go of those people who are bringing me down. Like some of you mentioned, we have moved in different directions.

Thanks for the support! I always appreciate everyone's input!