Tuesday, July 04, 2006
           
 
It's been 230 years since this great country of ours came to be.  230 years.  That's a lot of years!
I remember when we celebrated the Bicentennial in 1976.  I was almost 9 years old (September), but my parents, aunts and uncles made a huge deal out of it.  We had a huge picnic at my house with all of my family members plus a few friends thrown in for good measure.  (I wish I had a picture, but I don't have any of them at my house.)  My one aunt is very craft and she took ordinary bathroom tiles and painted about 50 of them in a patriotic theme as a sort of  "party favor" for all the guests.  Other than the fact that it rained all day (figures), that's about all that I remember of that celebration.
 
Independence Day is always a big deal in Philadelphia for reasons that are obvious.  I, personally, haven't been to any of the festivities in years.  I used to go to the big fireworks display at Penn's Landing every year.  I just got lazy and tired of crowds.  Plus, I am in Center City for 5 days a week and am grateful to be out of it for the weekends and holidays!  I have a co-worker who attends the big soiree in July 4th at the Art Museum every year.  She's lived in Philadelphia her whole life and loves everything about the city.  I love Philadelphia, just not enough to sit in a hot crowd for hours on end!
 
Anyway, Happy Birthday, USA!  I hope everyone has a great time celebrating!

Powered By Qumana
 
posted by Sue at 7:21 AM |


5 Comments:


At 3:14 PM, Blogger Emily

Hope you had a nice, relaxing 4th of July, Sue!

 

At 5:45 AM, Blogger heavenlydm

At least you're not here in the south where they're still trying to win the war..ROFL! These people take re-enactments and their confederate flags seriously.

Hope you had a great 4th!

 

At 8:50 AM, Blogger jay lassiter

remember in philly in 1976 when an epidemic of legioneer's disease broke out down in old city?

the 4th came and went without incident in cherry hill.

 

At 7:42 AM, Blogger Bob

Just checking in to say hi. Hope you had a wonderful 4th and a great weekend.

 

At 8:15 PM, Blogger Bear

Hey Sue, Sorry I haven't been by in awhile. Hope you had a good 4th and let us know how you are doing. Take care.