Sunday, September 21, 2008
I made it to the gym for two 30-minute treadmill workouts this past week. These were in addition to my regular 60-minute personal training workout which, incidentally, has been my only source of exercise for the past 6 months.

Is this progress? I hope so.

Chris and I had an intense "discussion" this past week. He made some valid points about me and how I live my life. One of particular note that really stuck with me is the fact that I have never followed through on anything that I have said that I was going to do - lose weight, start a business, write. Hell, I have never even finished one cross-stitch project that was just for me and that is supposed to be a hobby that I enjoy!

I make excuses. I say that I am a product of my environment meaning that I am who I am because of the household in which I was raised. It is just so much easier to blame others (parents, friends, family, Chris) instead of looking inside myself.

I went to see a comedy show with some friends, Kim and Barb, on Saturday night. We went to the Keswick Theater. The Keswick is one of those old-time art houses that have been around since the times when people, in general, were smaller - height as well as girth. I made a comment about how I was having some trouble fitting in the seat. The width was a bit snug, but not unbearable, however, the leg room was, for lack of a better word, painful. Sitting for 3 hours with my legs at a 90-degree angle with no other option is just not my idea of fun, but I digress. Kim asked me if I was still "doing that" meaning going to the gym. I told her that I was working on getting back into it because I realized that I am just plain tired of complaining about my weight and that I am the only one that can do it - nobody can do it for me.

Then, I smiled inside. Progress?

Yeah, I think so.
 
posted by Sue at 7:22 PM |


2 Comments:


At 5:00 PM, Blogger Sherri

Yes I would call that progress!!! Good for you! It's so easy to find a way to blame it on everyone else but you are so right!! We create our own reality. Thanks-- I needed that smack in the head myself.

 

At 2:53 PM, Blogger Emily

That is definitely progress. It's always hard to realize that we do this to ourselves. I'm having a hard time with that lately too. I'm working out but not losing weight. Am I counting calories? No. But I want to blame it on something other than me. But it's my doing.