Tuesday, September 02, 2008
Today is my birthday. How did I get here? 41 years old, 80+ lbs overweight, working at a job for over 19 years and feel like I wasted my life working there, 10+ years in a marriage that I am not so sure that I want to be in anymore.......

I know that I have a hell of alot to be thankful for:
  • Despite the weight issue, my overall health is good - no diseases, no medications required.
  • I have a job and it pays fairly well which allows me to pay my bills on time, keep a roof over my head and gas in my car - without worry.
  • After a bit of a rough year last year, my parents are in good overall health.
  • Berzerk, Charlie and Lucy (my cats)

With everything that is going on in this country and all over the world, I feel uncomfortable when I express any kind of dissatisfaction with my life. Others have so much less than I do. BUT, does that make me undeserving of something MORE in my life? Therein lies the rub.

What do I want to change? Oh, lots of things. I have been talking about changing my career/job as well as the weight situation for years now. Why can't I do it? Why do I make so many excuses? What am I afraid of? What do I need to happen first? Who knows?

My marriage. Hmm, that's a whole other ball game. There are so many good things about it, but yet there are so many things about it that just make me plain unhappy. Maybe it is all me, but the last time that I checked there are 2 people that make a relationship whether it is between family members, friends, lovers, co-workers, etc. Things have occurred in the past that have diminished the trust in this relationship - at least for me. Things that continue to occur (as recently as earlier this summer). I probably do not make things any easier with my lack of weight loss and constant depressive mood. He makes me feel like a nag and a bore. Maybe I am a nag and a bore. But why? There is so much more to this, but I just cannot put it into words at this time. It is too painful. It makes me feel like a failure.

So, here I am again. Somehow I feel like I am in a repeat performance of the past 5 years. Lather, rinse, repeat.

How did I get here?

 
posted by Sue at 9:58 PM |


2 Comments:


At 1:55 PM, Blogger Sherri

I understand how you are feeling....you sound like me afraid of the unknown...so you stay in one place and as every day passes you feel more and more trapped or confined. I'm done school....did I go get a job...nope... here I am back taking classes again...if I got I job I could leave my marriage and start a new chapter with a new career. Why am I not doing it? Yes I have the kid issue to think of but that really shouldn't stop me because I want her to know she doesn't have to stay in a bad marriage just because I do. I have no complaints with my husband, he is true and good but we simply have nothing in common (not sure we ever did). I feel sufficated and confined by him.

No one should ever make you feel like their short comings and misbehavior is your fault. Just because he thinks you are a bore doesn't mean there isn't something better and healthier out there waiting for you.....now if I could only make myself believe the same thing...my world would be a much happier place.
Good Luck figuring this out. I know if you are like me you simply want to feel better about everything...is it the weight, is it the bad marriage, is it the failure to launch into a new career??? Maybe it's everything...one piles upon the next until the mountain is too high and you give up climbing the whole thing instead of taking it one slow and steady step at a time.

 

At 4:16 PM, Blogger Emily

I don't think I can say it better than Sherri. I'm sorry you feel so out of control of your life. That really is a terrible feeling. As far as how you feel about yourself, that is situational. In the perfect relationship, both people bring out the best in each other. In hard times, that disappears. The challenge is to rekindle that. If you can't, then you need to do something that will make you happy. Anything. For me that was why I started losing weight to begin with. It then led to other decisions to make me happy. But you have to start with something.