Wednesday, May 04, 2005
Who woulda thought that just by not eating like a pig would help me to lose weight, huh? Week one is over and I'm down 8.5 lbs. Yeah, ME!

I found out yesterday that a friend of mine, Russ, has also started the NS program. He just started on Monday. I was so excited! We work together so I'll have a "buddy" at the office. I'm also so proud of him. He's been overweight for as long as I've known him - about 16 years - and I'm glad that he's finally addressing the issue seriously. He's such a great guy and he deserves to be happy! But enough about him!

Chris (my DH) & I got into a big fight about what he call "the food issue" this past Sunday. See, we got tickets to see the Dali exhibit at the Philly Museum of Art for 12:30pm. Now, the tickets were bought well before I started NS, so of course this was not the best time of day. I had my breakfast and brought along a "lunch bar" which I consumed in about 3 seconds with a bottle of water at about 2:30pm. So on our way home (which is about 45 mintues), Chris starts complaining that he's "melting" and needs to eat something and promptly suggests "let's go to Friendly's". I wanted to kill him.

So, I'm thinking in my head that it's not his fault that I'm 75+ lbs overweight (although I'm not the one taking high blood pressure & cholestoral pills) so I'll just go with him and then eat later at home. It was very hard. He gets this big burger supermelt with fries and I got a garden salad. Now technically the salad is the appropriate portion, but damn I was hungry. Anyway, I couldn't even LOOK at the burger or else I was going to cry. Of course, his burger comes with a free sundae, but he declines to get it (I guess he figured he was doing me a favor by not eating ice cream in front of me). We pay the check and I just walk out.

On the way home, he says "what's wrong?" and I say "nothing". He says "it's the food issue, isn't it?". All I say is that when I told him 2 weeks ago that I was starting NS, I would not be going out to eat for awhile. And, while it will suck, it won't be forever - just until I can re-learn how to control my food portions. He said that it was no problem and that the "going out to eat" was my thing and that would much rather stay home and cook. So, what happens? The first weekend - Friday he brings home a cheesesteak and fries, Saturday he says let's just "grab a bite" at the Chili's and then Sunday he wants Friendly's. I think he's challenging me, but he doesn't realize how hard it is to be around all the foods I love when I know eating them will sabatoge all that I've worked for. I'd rather stay home. But, he doesn't get that.

Of course, he denied everything and blamed the "events of the day" for the poor food suggestions he made. He says "We were busy, there's no food in the house and I'm starving!". No excuses.

Hopefully, this weekend will be better. I'll let you know.
 
posted by Sue at 2:45 PM |


0 Comments: